Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Small Token of Appreciation

War (n) - 1 a (1): a state of usually open and declared armed hostile conflict between states or nations (2): a period of such armed conflict
2 a: a state of hostility, conflict, or antagonism b: a struggle or competition between opposing forces or for a particular end

I'm not sure it's possible for anyone to fully comprehend the significant impact of war. While I do not personally know anyone that has been deployed to the Middle East, I often think about and pray for our troops. I can't even begin to
imagine the emotional fatigue that soldiers experience on a daily basis. Not to mention the hardship that is placed on their families while they are fighting to protect the freedom that many of us so grossly take for granted.

Over the past several years, I have often wondered how I could show my appreciation for those that dutifully serve our country. Thankfully, I was recently introduced to Operation Baking GALS. I am so excited to be involved in this project. While it may not seem like much to bake up some cookies and mail them off, I'm sure there are many soldiers that are happy to get a taste of some homemade goodness.

Having been abroad for several months myself, I understand the power a package from home can have. Sometimes, you just need a little reminder that folks back home are thinking of you. Don't get me wrong, I am not comparing my experience abroad to those that are tirelessly
protecting our homeland. I'm just saying that I can relate - even in a small way.

With all that said, I just want to send out a BIG THANKS to all of our troops! You all don't get thanked nearly enough. Baking is my way of showing support and appreciation. Bon Appetit!

See what I made and sent to Colin...


Spumoni Biscotti (Yummmmm)

I've always wanted to try making biscotti. I thought it would be difficult, so I shied away from it. Oh my gosh! It was so super simple!

I found a recipe for pistachio biscotti. I thought it needed a little "kick," so I dipped them in chocolate that I had flavored with cherry flavoring. A new twist on Spumoni.







Chocolate - White Chocolate Chunk Cookies

I had some extra left over, so I took them to work and we made homemade ice cream cookie sandwiches out of them. They were super rich, but soooooooo good!








Snickerdoodles

My first attempt. I thought they turned out pretty tasty. :-)

No comments: